Back in 1999, when many of us still got a new IP address every time we dialed into the internet, I set up ipid as an easy way to figure out my public IP. It caught on, and was eventually added into several dynamic DNS clients and various other projects with a need to determine the user's IP. I took the service down in 2013, given the myriad other options available; you can just Google "IP address" to get it, now.
Recently I was debugging a DNS issue and was surprised to see how many queries were still coming in for the ipid name. I decided to spin the site back up on a spare VPS and see what sort of traffic it would get. I wasn't quite expecting this:
Server uptime: 14 hours 17 minutes 12 seconds Server load: 0.01 0.02 0.00 Total accesses: 8149452 - Total Traffic: 101.4 MB 158 requests/sec - 2067 B/second - 13 B/request
~160 hits per second to a site that's been down (and
NXDOMAIN) for 4 years! There's obviously still some demand, so I'm leaving it online for now, subject to occasional downtime.